Wycombe Wanderers 1 Lincoln City 3

Last updated : 23 September 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Mark Stallard's double gave Wycombe Wanderers the unusual feeling of defeat.

Lincoln battled back from a goal down for a fifth win in a row away from home and condemn the Chairboys to a first home defeat of the campaign.

Wycombe, the in-form team of the entire Football League, found themselves in a familiar position early on.

Jermaine Easter turned well and placed a delightful chip over the keeper but off the bar to Tommy Mooney who emphatically blasted home a left-foot volley inside ten minutes.

Wycombe, playing with a flexible three up-front, were tearing through Lincoln and should have doubled their lead after 23 minutes but Matt Bloomfield blasted over from just inside the edge of the box.

Lincoln eventually got their first chance a few minutes from half-time. Jeff Hughes' free-kick found its way to Adie Moses whose looping header was agonizingly cleared off the line.

They soon went one better though, Lee Frecklington expertly taking down a long cross from Hughes, sublimely turning and firing a left-foot shot in the bottom corner from ten yards.

Wycombe started the second half with real intent but little threat, getting forward in numbers early only to find a wall of Lincoln defenders in their way who ably coped with everything that came their way.

City looked dangerous on the break though and took the lead on 64 minutes when Stallard made a bursting run through the middle before sending the keeper the wrong way from ten yards.

Wycombe were desperate to extend their winning streak and had most the ball but a compact Lincoln just didn't give them any space to play in.

And it was Lincoln who got the all important next goal as Lee Beevers' cross was half-cleared by Russell Martin to Stallard who took the ball down on his chest and hit an unstoppable half volley in the top right corner.

Wycombe's heads visibly dropped after that all-important goal and Lincoln coasted to victory.