Lincoln City 7 Rochdale 1

Last updated : 21 October 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Second-placed Lincoln City ripped apart Rochdale 7-1 with a devastating display of attacking football at Sincil Bank.

Lincoln were quickly two goals ahead, but then let Dale back into the game only for horrendous defending to give Lincoln a third on the stroke of half time.

The second 45 minutes was a different story with Lincoln cutting open the Rochdale defence with ease. They scored another four goals with Jamie Forrester bagging his second hat-trick in consecutive games.

Sorry Rochdale finished the game with only ten men when substitute Keith Barker was forced off with a leg injury after all three substitutes had been used.

Lincoln went in front in the 11th minute when Nicky Eaden and Ryan Amoo combined to set up Forrester who blasted a left-foot shot into the roof of the net.

Five minutes later Rochdale defender Nathan Stanton lost the ball to Lee Frecklington inside the box and the Lincoln midfielder produced a great pass leaving Mark Stallard to side-foot home.

Rochdale got back into the game in the 23rd minute after Lincoln's Paul Mayo pushed Chris Dagnall on the edge of the box. Lincoln failed to clear the free-kick and Alan Goodall hooked the ball home.

Morike Sako and Glenn Murray then had chances to equalise but were denied by excellent saves from Alan Marriott.

A minute before the break a great ball from Stallard left Matthew Gilks and James Sharp stranded outside the area. Forrester nipped in between them to roll his shot into the empty net from 25 yards.

Four minutes into the second half Stallard outpaced the Rochdale defence and created an easy fourth goal for Forrester.

The rout continued seven minutes later when Forrester set up Jess Hughes, who smashed his shot home as referee Fred Graham was then taken off injured and had to be replaced by Paul Simpson.

Lincoln were undeterred and got another goal in the 65th minute when a passing move left Stallard with the easiest of chances.

Forrester then smashed a shot against the post before Lincoln completed the scoring in the 77th minute. A great cross from Stallard picked out Hughes, who side-footed home.