Lincoln City 3 Accrington Stanley 1

Last updated : 01 September 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Striker Jamie Forrester produced another superb performance as Lincoln maintained their unbeaten league start to the season with a 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley at Sincil Bank.

Forrester, who hit four goals for the Imps last Saturday, continued his good form by creating three more in an easy win over the League Two newcomers.

The Lancashire team wasted a string of chances and their ill-discipline saw them finish with only nine men as defenders Michael Welch and Peter Cavanagh were both red-carded in the final 18 minutes.

Lincoln began in lively form and were in front after just six minutes as an excellent ball down the middle from Forrester opened up the visitors' defence. Martin Gritton was left to run through and hit his low shot into the net.]

Seconds later Forrester cut open the Stanley defence again with a great ball to Gritton.
The former Torquay striker picked out on-loan signing Nicky Eaden, whose powerful shot smashed into the side netting.

Forrester almost got on the score-sheet himself in the 16th minute. His overhead kick from inside the box brought a save out of Stanley keeper, Ian Dunbavin.

Cavanagh was booked in the 18th minute when he body-checked Lee Frecklington as the Lincoln man burst into the box.

But Stanley hit back and a deep cross from Andy Todd found Gary Roberts at the far post, but the winger put his shot over.

Lincoln increased their lead five minutes before the break when Forrester set up Mark Stallard. The striker's first shot was blocked by Dunbavin, but he was first to pounce on the loose ball and put it into the net.

Stallard brought his tally for the season to five in the 68th minute after again being put through by Forrester before finishing with a low shot.

Welch, booked earlier for a foul on Gritton, was yellow-carded again in the 72nd minute when he tripped Frecklington.

Accrington showed some spirit when they were down to ten men with Andrew Managan having a shot blocked by Marriott.

Eight minutes from time Lincoln failed to clear a corner and Gary Roberts fired home from 15 yards. Mangan then got clear but his shot was well saved by Marriott.

Cavanagh was dismissed in the last minute after bringing down Stallard for his second yellow card.