Lincoln City 2 Hartlepool United 0

Last updated : 06 October 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Hartlepool boss Danny Wilson was the latest victim of the Manager of the Month curse as his team went down 2-0 at Lincoln City.

Pool's run of results in September lifted them from the bottom seven into the top seven in League Two but they came unstuck after missing a hatful of chances at Sincil Bank.

United should have been in front after only six minutes when a cross from Ali Gibb left Joel Porter in the clear, but the Australian striker sliced his shot so badly that he almost hit the corner flag.

Then an excellent pass from Willie Boland put Gary Liddle away but Lincoln defender Lee Beevers made a timely interception.

The resulting 20th minute corner was flicked on by Ben Clark to Porter. The striker found himself in front of goal and a yard out but somehow lifted his shot over the bar.

When Lincoln tried to hit back a powerful header from Beevers was saved on the line by Dimitrios Konstantopoulos.

But the chances continued to fall for Hartlepool and Gibb, who worked hard on the right side of midfield, combined with Porter to set up Jon Daly. But the striker, who has scored seven goals in his previous three games, miss-hit his shot straight at Lincoln keeper Alan Marriott.

Then Daly went close twice more before Lincoln went in front in the 39th minute. The ball was swept forward and Mark Stallard put Jamie Forrester clear and the former Leeds striker fired a superb first time shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards.

Lincoln almost added another goal before the break when Lee Frecklington was given a chance by Jeff Hughes but shot over from ten yards.

Lincoln increased their lead in the 59th minute when Nicky Eaden opened up the Hartlepool defence with a cross from the right. Hughes moved in unchallenged and found the net with a first time shot from ten yards.

Eaden produced another excellent cross ten minutes later which was met by Forrester but Konstantopoulos brought off a diving save.

Hartlepool sent on substitute David Foley in place of Porter and the youngster almost got them back in the game. Foley's persistence created a chance with Matty Robson but the defender's shot was blocked by Marriott.

Hartlepool had another chance in the 78th minute when Liddle was allowed to continue despite appearing to be yards off-side, but his shot was saved by Marriott.

In stoppage time Lincoln went close to grabbing a third goal when a shot from Stallard was deflected onto the bar and Forrester's follow-up flew inches wide.