Lincoln City 1 Wrexham 1

Last updated : 15 March 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Promotion chasing Lincoln kept up their excellent run of results despite held by rivals Wrexham.

The Imps, who have lost only once in their 16 games, survived tremendous first-half pressure from the Welsh club thanks to some excellent saves from keeper Alan Marriott.

Wrexham striker Lee Trundle went close in the 11th minute when he turned his marker before firing a volley which Marriott did well to push wide.

Five minutes later Trundle forced his way through the middle of the Lincoln defence only for Marriott to dive at his feet.

When Lincoln tried to hit back Allan Pearce left Dennis Lawrence for dead but from a good position put his shot wide.

Marriott was almost caught out in the 32nd minute when Trundle chipped him from 25 yards, but the former Tottenham keeper scrambled back to make the save.

Wrexham's Scott Green wasted two excellent second-half chances before Lincoln went in front against the run of play.

A long throw was only half cleared and the follow-up shot from Scott Willis was deflected in by Simon Weaver.

Lincoln almost added a second five minutes later when new signing Daniel Webb was left unmarked at the far post, but saw his downward header well saved by Wrexham's veteran keeper Andy Dibble.

Within 60 seconds Wrexham drew level. Paul Edwards broke down the left and his low cross was flicked home by Andy Morrell for the striker's 25th goal of the season.

Lincoln pushed forward for the winner but the nearest they came was when substitute Simon Yeo produced a first-time shot which Dibble saved.

Afterwards Lincoln manager Keith Alexander said: "I was disappointed with our first-half performance and we did not get going until we scored.

"In the end I was happy with a draw. It is important not to lose games at this stage of the season." Wrexham boss Denis Smith said: "We've got to make sure we put our chances away. It is costing us points.

"We had our chances in the first half and two great opportunities to score at the start of the second half. Lincoln's goal came from a deflection and we have to start making our own luck."