Lincoln City 1 Stockport 3

Last updated : 10 September 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Ten-man Lincoln went out of the Worthington Cup at the first hurdle after being outclassed by second division Stockport.

City, with three consecutive wins behind them, were forced to reshuffle after just six minutes when midfielder Ben Sedgemore limped off with a knee injujry.

But the reorganisation brought on former Manchester City striker Adie Mike who gave an inspired performance leading the Imps front line.

After just 15 minutes Mike went close to breaking the deadlock with an overhead kick which beat County keeper Michael Ingham but came back off the post.

Stockport then took control and went in front after 20 minutes when player manager Carlton Palmer bundled home a cross at the far post.

Lincoln keeper Alan Marriott then saved well from Neil Ross before Ross wasted a good opening when he fired over with fellow striker Luke Beckett unmarked and in the clear.

County went further ahead in the 54th minute thanks to a 50-yard pass from Dave Challinor which released Beckett.

The former Chesterfield striker held off a Lincoln defender before delicately chipping the keeper for an outstanding goal.

Lincoln came back into the game four minutes later when Stuart Bimson set up Mike, who made no mistake with a low shot from just inside the box.

Lincoln were down to ten men in the 73rd minute when midfielder Scott Willis was red-carded for spitting. County defender Rob Clare completed the scoring seven minutes from time with a flashing header.

Afterwards Carlton Palmer said: "We knew it was going to be a tough game but we put in a professional performance.

"We had a job to do and we did it. We had a difficult spell for ten minutes after their goal but we weathered that and in the end it was a comfortable win."

Lincoln manager, Keith Alexander, said: "I felt we gave them too much respect. We sorted that out and got back into the game but you have to keep 11 players on the pitch if you want to win."