Hull City 0 Lincoln City 1

Last updated : 08 February 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Cash-strapped Lincoln City deservedly won the Humber derby against big-spending Hull, becoming the first away winners at the new KC Stadium which opened at Christmas.

Apart from getting big crowds the move so far has brought little joy to Hull whose play-off hopes are rapidly disappearing.

Peter Taylor's men have now taken only five points from seven games in 2003 and have not scored for more than six hours.

A disappointed Taylor at least claimed his side had shown an improvement.

"They are honest players and they worked hard trying to get a result," he said: "Anything was an improvement on our display at Southend last Saturday." Hull lacked invention, particularly in midfield, where Lincoln relied on just two players Peter Gain and Richard Butcher, who were both outstanding.

However the real heroes for Lincoln were the three centre-backs, Simon Weaver, Paul Morgan and Ben Futcher, who got their bodies in the way of everything.

It was Lincoln's fourth away win in five away games to raise realistic hopes of a late promotion challenge.

Manager Keith Alexander said: "We worked our socks off and deserved to win. I was proud of the players and I have been all season." Wing-back Stuart Bimson hit the winner from a 65th minute penalty after Mark Bailey had fallen to a clumsy tackle from Damien Delaney, who was booked.

Alexander revealed that Scott Willis wanted to take the spot-kick and he had to shout for Bimson to be given the ball.

"Stuart has been very impressive in penalty practice," he said.

Delaney was jeered every time he touched the ball afterwards by the home crowd.

Hull's best spell was just before half time when their new front partnership of Daniel Webb and Jamie Forrester got into the act. Forrester laid the ball off to Webb whose rasping drive was just too high.

Then Forrester created space for himself and forced Alan Marriott to palm the ball away at full stretch. Lawrie Dudfield rammed the rebound against the post but was offside anyway.

Unfortunately for Taylor, Hull could not rattle Lincoln's strong defence the same way afterwards.