Hartlepool United 1 Lincoln City 1

Last updated : 09 March 2007 By Footymad Previewer
A penalty two minutes into added time saved Hartlepool's unbeaten run which has now been stretched to 20 games.

They were behind for most of the game after Lincoln scored an early goal, but battled away to the end to claim a point.

It looked as if Lincoln were going to end their run of four games without a win in dramatic fashion thanks to a brilliant team display that defied the League Two leaders.

Lincoln soaked up early Hartlepool pressure and shocked the home team by taking the lead in their first attack on seven minutes.

A right-wing cross from Nicky Eaden was headed out straight to the feet of Paul Green and from 15 yards his low shot took a deflection to wrong-foot keeper Dimi Konstantopoulos as it hit the bottom corner of the net.

The goal shook the home team and they went to pieces for a spell with their passing going astray and players giving away a lot of good possession.

The only chance they produced in the first half was a long-range shot from Andy Monkhouse that Lincoln keeper Alan Marriott couldn't hold because it had too much power, but he managed to push it out for a defender to complete the clearance.

Ten minutes after the break and with Hartlepool beginning to look better, a mis-kicked clearance gave James Brown a chance to level, but the unmarked striker's shot from wide on the left flashed across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

The home pressure increased, but with Nat Brown outstanding at the back, Lincoln held out well and late in the game they almost doubled their lead when Jamie Forrester chipped Konstantopoulos but saw his shot go behind off the top of the bar.

But with shots blocked in a crowded area and two cleared off the line, Hartlepool felt they could save the game and two minutes into added time they got their lifeline when the unfortunate Nat Brown was judged to have held down Michael Nelson in the area and Richie Barker blasted the penalty home to save the game.