City Stop The Rot

Last updated : 23 January 2002 By Jonathan Hall
City took the lead on 24 minutes, when Ben Sedgemore slotted home from 10
yards, after Kingsley Black had an effort cleared by an Orient defender,
following good link-up play by Black and Dave Cameron to get themselves in
that position. The anticipating Sedgemore was on hand to fire wide of the
keeper, to put the Imps into a deserving lead.

After consolidating in the second half, City bagged a second goal towards
the end. Lee Thorpe added a fine finish, to a well crafted move. With
minutes remaining, Thorpe made a surging, energetic run down the left,
before cutting inside to shape to shoot on his right foot. The in-form
striker on the night, unleashed rifling shot into the back off the net from
just outside the box.

Going into the game, Imps manager Alan Buckley made three changes to the
side which produced an unacceptable performance to bottom-of-the-table
Halifax at the weekend. Jason Barnett was now fit enough to return to his
trademark right-back position (thus, relegating Peter Gain to the bench).
Paul Morgan came in at centre-back to partner Grant Brown, while Dave
Cameron started in favour of Tony Battersby. Otherwise, Buckley had to make
do with the players at his disposal.

The first half got underway in front of a lowly attendance (1,900). City's
first real chance came on the 10 minute mark, when Black found room to
shoot, but his shot went wide. The Imps' football was patient, but hardly
progressive at this stage, but an onlooker could tell that the home side
were trying to adopt a neat style of passing football, as they pressed
forward in search of goalmouth action.

It came on 17 mins when Dave Cameron was involved again. His turn and
half-volley sprung the O's keeper into making a save, pushing the ball round
the post. From the resulting corner, a goalmouth scramble ensued, but
eventually the ball found its way back up the field. A free-kick for City
shortly followed, for which Black swung in at the far post. No-one was there
to apply the finishing touch.

The second half was a similar story - City generally out-played their
opponents with their slick, cross field passing and link-up play. The
strikers Thorpe and Cameron in particular were linking up well with both
Black and Hamilton either side of them. Chances worth noting are Ian
Hamilton's header against the bar in another scrappy affair as a corner was
swung in.

A rampant Thorpe had his pace on display tonight, as he left the defence for
dead, only to fire inches wide of the right post.
All in all, an encouraging performance and a deserving result. The Imps have
managed to restore some of that lost pride, after falling heavily to Orient
at Brisbane Road this season.